Monday, April 30, 2018

Introduction to Blog

Greetings,

My name is Adam, and I am currently a High School Mathematics teacher working towards obtaining a degree in Educational Leadership. The purpose of this blog is two-fold. For one, I hope to educate other teachers (and even students) on the concept of cyber bullying, including the dangers and legal issues. I will also then aim to provide support and strategies to combat this ever-growing threat, for the hope of saving many young lives.

I have chosen to focus this blog on cyber bullying for a variety of reasons. Though technology has proven to be extremely effective for student mastery of material, more recently, I have begun to take notice of the dark side of technology, specifically regarding social media. Students are connected now in more ways than ever before. In seconds, posts can be created, and even pictures and videos can be uploaded to an infinite audience. No one is truly "safe" to the dangers that exist in the virtual world.

While coaching a winter sport this past year, three athletes engaged in cyber bullying against another athlete. I was shocked to discover that the culprits had no idea of the damaging effects that cyber bullying can produce on other students. I was also shocked that the culprits were not aware of the trouble that they could get themselves into. Since their "attacks" were done outside of school, they assumed they were safe from any repercussions. Little did they know all of what could be done.

To help get my readers orientated, please take a look at this website, which contains valuable facts about cyber bullying. I look forward to interacting with my readers for the sake of finally ending cyber bullying. Please feel free to leave a comment below.

Best,
Adam

2 comments:

  1. You are off to a great start. Keep in mind your role as a leader of learning and the need to offer perspectives to parents and stakeholders as well other teachers. I look forward to this broader view in your upcoming posts. Charge on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great entry Adam. I feel as though cyberbullying as a whole needs to be discussed with students. I believe more can be done in educating students in online etiquette and how they should conduct themselves in online interactions.

    ReplyDelete

What Does the Law Say?

As the discussion has progressed thus far, the fact is clear that cyber bullying is an extremely harmful act to be a victim of. But, what ab...